The latest social media trends — findings from comScore report
Posted by Mary Fletcher Jones
- More minutes were spent on Facebook than any other place online in 2011. Time spent on social networks accounts for 16.6% of all minutes spent online.
- Online video viewing increased 43% among Americans in 2011. More than 100 million Americans watched online video content on an average day.
- By the end of last year, 8% of all digital traffic was accessed via smartphones or tablets (like the iPad). The majority of mobile phone owners went online with their phone.
- U.S. retail and travel-related e-commerce increased 12% last year, to $256 billion in 2011.
- The search engine Bing surpassed Yahoo for the first time in its history, snagging the #2 position behind Google in the U.S. search market. Bing has a social search partnership with Facebook.